Kelp Reaction

by Diane
(Fort Worth,Tx.)

I took a 225 mcg. Iodine from Kelp pill at about 3 in the afternoon.

I woke up about 4am with a feeling of my throat closing or obstructed. Had some trouble swallowing a glass of water and tried to clear mucous hanging at the back of throat by swallowing-no luck.

Was this from kelp pill or something else? It was scary.

What can I do about it?


I am so sorry you had this problem. Were there any other ingredients in the kelp? Do you know where it was manufactured? My concern is that the product may not have been pure or tainted in some manner.

I certainly would not suggest you take this again.

Try using a very, very small amount of tincture of iodine using the Iodine Patch Test to see if you have the same reaction. You may purchase tincture of iodine through the Store on the main page of this site.

If you observe a reaction, then you have a true allergy to iodine.

Here is a link to a page on this site which lists the amount of iodine in various food products:
Foods High in Iodine

Good luck to you.

Let me know what happens.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Iodine Help Line.