Know The Cause


An iodine overdose can happen easily if you misread the directions for iodine supplementation. Iodine poisoning may happen after an extended period of time using an incorrect dosage.


Topically, an iodine reaction may occur with the use of iodinated povidone. Tincture of Iodine may cause rash, blistering or crusting on the skin.


Iodine poisoning may happen if you have been exposed to high doses of radiographic contact dyes or a drug called amiodarone.

Sometimes gastrointestinal obstructions treated with sodium iodide may cause strong reactions.

Bladder irrigation with Povidone iodine has been known to increase the risk of urinary tract infection which may lead to kidney failure or death.

Initial Symptoms

Initial symptoms of iodine toxicity may be:

  • Skin rash
  • Burning mouth and throat
  • Sore teeth and gums
  • Head cold symptoms
  • Vomiting
  • Stomach upset and diarrhea

These symptoms may be confused with an iodine allergy or iodine allergy symptoms.

Severe Symptoms of Iodine Overdose

If the overdose continues it can lead to:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Delirium
  • Fever
  • Lack of urine output
  • Seizures
  • Shock
  • Swelling of face and body
  • Shortness of breath
  • Stupor
  • Weak pulse
  • Coma

Japanese Kelp Consumption

A type of acne called kelp acne was found in individuals who ingested high amounts of kelp in Japan.

Consumption of this seaweed, which contains a high amount of iodine, is common for this culture.

If you experience acne and consume a high amount of kelp, simply cutting back on your consumption of kelp should solve the problem.

Overdose Treatment

According to MedHelp, you may ingest milk, or water mixed with either cornstarch or flour every 15 minutes.

If there is vomiting, convulsions, or lethargy making it hard for the individual to swallow, stop the treatment.

Chocolate Will Not Solve the Overdose

Contrary to popular belief, the consumption of chocolate to absorb excess iodine does not work.

It is purported that it contains bromine. Bromine, a known disruptor or halogen, disrupts or blocks the absorption of iodine.

Upon closer examination and according to Wikipedia, the compound in chocolate, theobromine, does not contain bromine.

Therefore, unfortunately, the use of chocolate to reduce an iodine overdose is ineffective.

Bread As a Solution

However, you may consume a bread product containing "enriched" or bromated flour.

By consuming bread products which contain bromated flour, the excess iodine is absorbed.

Governmental Control

Thirty years ago, iodine was used in all bread products to prevent iodine deficiency. It was decreed by a higher governmental authority, that iodine should be removed from bakery products.

Now, we're slowly being overdosed with bromine from the bread and baked products we eat.

You can see for yourself what bromine poisoning does. If you have red bumps on your skin, called cherry angiomas, you have potassium bromate or bromine poisoning.

Leave Iodine Overdose and Return to Benefits of Iodine

Leave Iodine Overdose and Return to Iodine Resource Home Page